General Prologue (1-444)

Usually prologues, at least in my opinion, can be dreadful. I always want to jump right in to the story! However, I think skipping this prologue could have done more harm than good. In the General Prologue Chaucer provides background knowledge of each individual character, which will be important to the individual's tale. I was not expecting the way that Chaucer introduces each character to be as interesting as it was. For example, my favorite, the "DOCTOUR OF PHYSIK" was not the "doctor" I was expecting him to be. Again, proving why reading the prologue is important! After reading the first half of the prologue, I feel less intimidated by the rest of The Canterbury Tales. As I get to know all of the characters and their personal attributes, I am excited to read their tales. Chaucer does an incredible job with the characterization, which helps to understand to not only understand the characters, but the structure of society during that time period as well.


quickmeme.com
"Boromir" from Lord of the Rings

Comments