The Man of Law's Tale

The Man of Law's Tale was not what I was expecting it to be. Although, religious justice is a theme throughout, it was not the "justice" I had in mind. In contrast to the other tales we have read, it is very different. It has conventions like the Knight's Tale, but instead of the tale being riddled with romantic medieval tropes, it is full of familiar religious narratives and iconography. In my opinion, this tale resembles a sermon. The Man of Law embeds his tale with Christian iconography to reinforce his own personal moral and religious beliefs. Looking at this tale in a broader perspective, it is clear that in Chaucer's world religious conflict was a very real issue, and this tale emphasizes his worldview. I still cannot decide if I like this tale or not. It is filled with death and suffering, but the outcome of it all, ends up being something good.

Cantigas de Santa Maria
13th Century
Alfonso X

Comments