The Shipman's Tale

This tale perplexed me to a certain extent, because I couldn't figure out the monk's motive. I was confused as to why he would promise the wife money, borrow it from her husband, and then get her caught. The wife is an imperfect character; she loses virtue by sleeping with the monk, and he still stings her by telling her husband he gave her the money, forcing her to confess to spending it on lavish things. It's like she's trying to be the trickster but ends up being tricked. But is she really tricked if her husband isn't even that mad? He seems to accept her offer of sexual favors as repayment. Here lies the confusion: who is the "winner"??? This story also seems to reinforce a consistent theme among some of these tales, of money and sex. We've seen this in a few stories now, and "The Shipman's Tale" seems to only perpetuate the question asked pertaining to money and sex and what effect they have on power in relationships. In the end, I was left with more confusion than satisfaction; however, I enjoyed reading this tale in part because of the questions it left me asking.

Comments