This Tale Actually Made Me Happy

Before I rant about my love for this tale, let me just point out a few interesting, important, and substantial things:

  • The use of both Greek gods and the Christian God.
  • The Franklin’s question at the very end about “Who is more free?”
  • Aurelius asks the sun and moon gods for a miracle, but ends up going to a magician instead for an artificial miracle.
  • What is the Franklin’s purpose for telling this tale? 
Okay, now for my rant.

If I had to choose one of Chaucer’s tales as MY tale, it would definitely be this one. I literally don’t know what else to say except that I love this tale and it is now my all-time favorite! I think I am just glad to finally read some literature this semester that is actually happy and satisfying at the end. We have Arveragus and Dorigen, who are true and faithful to each other and are willing to endure great suffering and death for each other, but who are also quick to forgive and honor each other. Then there is Aurelius, who is kind of stupid for believing that Dorigen seriously meant what she said but overall turns out to be a pretty noble guy himself. Even the clerk/scientist whom he hires to help him pull off this stunt to win Dorigen turns out to be a generous guy, forgiving Aurelius of his debt. I wonder if Chaucer was starting to feel the same way as I was, tired of the silly or depressing or raunchy or unfinished stuff that seem to provide more questions than answers. With the Franklin’s tale, however, everything just feels nice and cozy and happy. Thanks for this one, Chaucer.


Comments